Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Summa summa summa tiiiimmme.....


So that was a good long haul of work. Six months on a two week booking. Whoo hooo! Saving money for that garage rebuild we are bidding out. It's always fun to go into my old haunt ('the mothership'), have lunch with my friends, meet new people too. But there was a period of about 6 weeks there where I was covering a bit too much...and I kept thinking to myself: I'm so busy I am going to throw up. I was treading water so hard, trying to keep my head above the fray, and also take some planned weekenders that I had on the books, keeping in touch with work on the weekend and getting heat from some crazy people on top of that? No thanks. I am taking this break with much pleasure, thank you. I feel like it will be a few weeks before I can even stomach the thought of work. A friend of mine emailed looking for help at her company, and for the first time in my six years of freelancing - I said no. I said I am taking the summer off to spend time with my daughter. Thank god for kids! Now I know why politicians like to have families so much. What a great excuse when they need to step down from their posts from a sex scandal! Nothing like that here, of course. Ahem.


So I was sick the first few days of my break and Aoife went to 'school' to play with her friends because I didn't have much to offer. But we are making up for lost time. Backyard hangouts with the tiny blow up pool, finding the 'beach' -- 4 miles inland at Humbolt Park, going to our local parks and playgrounds and walking Elsa, having ice cream in the middle of the day, three picnics in one week! I've learned not to picnic too close to a playground though or there is going to be no toddler eating of lunch whatsoever. Just a constant yearning for the swings and slides.

So my mom and I both have big birthdays this year...she was 40 when she had me. In a way I am just beginning this part of my life. And I thank her genes for allowing it to happen in my late 30s at all! I am really exited to celebrate her and have made a commemorative book and also a slideshow movie. I love having time off to do creative projects. Or taking up linoleum. Or cutting down twenty 6 foot weed plants. Or plan for my girls to come and drive up to WI with me for a weekend of New Glarus beers, canoeing and hiking.

I have to say, right now, I count myself very lucky. But of course I am Irish so there is always a dark shadow or worry, wondering when it is going to all come crashing down. But I am optimisitic so I push it back. I have my health, my family's health, enough savings to enjoy the summer, a great house with plenty to work on, great friends...what more could a girl want?

Oh yes, a writing project. Sometimes contentment is not the best muse. We shall see. I might be stalling also by insisting on refinishing the floors in my office before I am fully 'situated.' You never know, that just may be the ticket to getting me going again! I am grateful for this time to write a teeny tiny blog though. Goodbye advertising emergencies, hello Chicago beach!

xo

E


No comments:

Post a Comment