Saturday, March 10, 2012

There's A Class For That

So at a convenient 3.5 weeks out, our childbirth classes have begun. No sense in taking those too early is there? How is my pregnancy addled brain going to remember anything if its more than a few months back? I've read all the books, trawled stories online, gotten many a tale from moms both fresh from the experience and wizened by a few years distance. And A., I think you're right. I think this class is more for the men, but I also think its for the relationship.

So much about this pregnancy he has been sympathetic to - the sore hips, the swollen feet, the achy back, he tries to help alleviate it all. But to have a registered nurse up there talking about all the challenges medical, physical, and emotional that I'm going through. - that there is some sweet ass relief. She had the men lift a backpack filled with different bags of sand representing our weight gain due to placenta, uterus, fat, water, and baby. Its about 30 lbs at the end of the day. That we carry around doing everything - going to work, socializing, feeding the dog. Its always there. Even though I pointed out that to be fair, some of that is in the ankles.

So even though I've heard that very little of the class notes actually come in handy with the chaos of the day in question - I think mentally it will put us in a more confident place. I want to have a good experience - the pain and gross out factors I can do nothing about - but being prepared for any twists and turns is what living with a mild anxiety disorder is all about. And I'm starting to feel better about this part of the process. I even came home that night and started packing my hospital bag. Its kinda like a vacation? (No, I know its not.)

I'm starting to feel like maybe it would be a treat to not be SO FUCKING PREGNANT. I'll miss those little kicks and reminders of what an awesome miracle by body has created, but girlfriend, you're just getting too big.

E

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting so much closer to the finish line! The classes are kind of crazy, aren't they? I just remember in one of the videos a pregnant lady was giving birth while wearing a shirt that said "I *heart* tacos" which seemed like an odd choice. I probably should have paid closer attention.

    The infant CPR class made me super stressed hearing about all of danger for babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I don't want to see any evidence of tacos in the video!

    I suppose I should watch one since we're skipping that week. Any suggestions on something tasteful, with nice lighting, maybe from this decade?

    ReplyDelete